This article presents the best options to watch Formula 1 online in 2015: from accessing TV channels using SopCast to unlocking geo-restricted streaming sites using VPN or Smart DNS services. Thus, you may enjoy the F1 races from your computer or mobile devices.
In 2015 new regulations have been introduced regarding the minimum weight of the cars, front-and-rear suspensions, the number of power units allowed to be used during the season, the design of the car nose and several others. Thus, other teams and drivers may reach some technological advantage and challenge the Mercedes supremacy. Hopefully it will be an interesting season with exciting races.
The 2015 Formula 1 season consists of 21 races (2 more than 2014 season), starting in Australia on 15th of March and ending in Abu Dhabi on 29th of November 2015.
Before we start, here are some useful links for all F1 fans:
How to watch Formula 1 online
There are several options available when you want to watch F1 online on your computer or mobile device. Not all of them are good and reliable, but, sometimes, when you don’t have access to a TV, a poor transmission is better than nothing. Take a look below to the proposed solutions (the best ones are listed first):
- Option 1: Get access to an Internet broadcaster (like BBC iPlayer or NBCSports). Take a look to the list below. If the streaming site is not available in your location (most of them are geo-restricted, meaning that are available only for Internet users from certain countries) than you may use VPN or SmartDNS services (read more about them below).
- Option 2: Use SopCast to access TV channels that broadcast the F1 races. SopCast works on Windows, MacOS, Linux and Android. It is not a solution for your iPhone or iPad.
- Option 3: Access streaming sites that broadcast directly the TV channels. Usually the transmission quality is poor, depending on several factors like the number of users and the Internet connection.
Formula 1 Internet broadcasters
Probably the best option is to watch F1 races by accessing an authorized streaming site. You may find below the list of Internet broadcasters in 2015:
|United Kingdom||English||BBC||Free in UK. Only selected races.|
|United Kingdom||English||Sky Sports||Available to Sky TV and Sky Go customers with a dual Sports or HD subscription.|
|United States||English||NBCSports||Content is available in HD. Sign-up required. Only available in US and U.S. Territories.|
|United States||Spanish||Univision Deportes||Only available in US and U.S. Territories.|
|Australia||English||One||Free in Australia.|
|Czech Republic||Czech||Nova (Voyo.cz)||Free in Czech Republic. Streams only the races.|
|Germany||German||RTL||HD feed encrypted and part of HD+ package. Free in Germany.|
|Germany||German||Sky Sport||Choice of different perspectives at qualifying and race. Only available in Germany.|
|Spain||Spanish||Antena 3||Free in Spain.|
|Spain||Spanish||Esport 3||Free in Spain. Emits jointly with Antena 3 & Movistar TV in Catalonia.|
|Finland||Finnish||MTV3||Paid subscription needed. Only available in Finland.|
|Sweden||Swedish||Viasat||Paid subscription needed. Only available in Sweden.|
|Japan||Japanese||Fuji TV Next||Paid subscription needed. Only available in Japan.|
|Croatia||Croatian||MAXtv To Go||Only available in Croatia.|
If you are located in one the the above listed locations you may easily watch Formula One online. Otherwise, you may consider bypassing the restrictions and get access to the preferred channel.
What to do when you are located in a listed country but you are still not allowed to see the live streaming?
- Try turning your router off and on again.
- You may phone your ISP and mention that you are having trouble viewing videos on certain sites.
What to do when you are not located in a listed country or you are travelling?
- Get access to a VPN or SmartDNS service in order to unlock the channel. Keep reading about them below.
How to access streaming websites from other countries using VPN or SmartDNS services
There are two main options to get access to restricted websites: VPN and DNS services (aka SmartDNS). Basically, both solutions trick the websites to see you in a white-listed location. If you were to choose between VPN and SmartDNS, go for SmartDNS. The speed that you regularly get on your Internet connection is the speed you get with a DNS service while you access a streaming site.
I have compiled below a list of the best VPN and DNS services that you can get for less than $12 / month. This is quite acceptable, taking into account that you can use them to watch at least 2 races every month.
|HideMyAss||VPN||Most of the sites||$11.52/month for the monthly plan|
|ibVPN||VPN and SmartDNS||BBC, ITV, Sportsnet, YLE, TF1, NOS, TVR Plus, SVT, SRF Sport, ZDF, ARD||$7.95/month for the monthly plan|
|PureVPN||VPN||BBC, ITV, Sportsnet, BNT, Ceska Televizie, DR TV, TF1, ZDF, ARD, MTV, NOS, NRK, TVR Plus, SVT, SRF Sport||$9.95/month for the monthly plan|
|Unblock-Us||SmartDNS||BBC, ITV||$4.99/monthfor the monthly plan|
All these services provide easy to install apps (for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android) in order to be able to quickly be able to access the streaming sites. ibVPN even offers 6-hour trial to test their service, enough time to even watch a full F1 race.
TV broadcasters list and how to watch TV channels online
If you don’t want to buy a VPN or SmartDNS you may consider watching TV channels that are streamed online. Take into consideration that there are not authorized transmission, thus the quality is rather poor.
2015 Formula 1 season is covered on TV live in more than 50 countries. Most of them cover every race and all qualifiers. Check the complete list of on Wikipedia and see if you can find a channel that covers Formula One races on your preferred language and quality (HDTV is available for certain providers).
Many TV channels are streamed online and you can simply access them and watch Formula 1 races. Here is how:
- Search for “how to watch [channel name] live” on your favorite search engine (Google, Bing). You will get several result links to sites that stream TV channels online. The downside is that the streaming quality is usually low.
- Install SopCast, a free and simple application to watch TV channels online. Firstly, you need to download the latest version of Sopcast here. After completing the installation, start the application. Then login as Anouymous and start looking for the desired channel in the Live Channel tab. Most likely you will find a channel that covers the Formula One events.
There are several options to watch Formula 1 online on your computer or mobile device. I would personally go for the Internet streaming, but using SopCast may do the trick as well.
P.S. Let us know in the comments who is your favorite driver and who do you thing will be the 2015 Champion. May the best driver win! Enjoy!